Loving Kindness and Compassionate Living
Tonglen is Tibetan for ‘giving and taking’ (or sending and receiving). It is also known as exchanging self with other. The practice originated in 12th Century Tibet and is one of the fundamental practices in the Mahayana Buddhist tradition.
“Giving and Taking” practice:
- reduces selfish attachment
- increases a sense of renunciation
- purifies karma by giving and helping
- develops and expands loving-kindness and bodhicitta
Bodhicitta is “enlightenment-mind”, or the mind that strives toward awakening, empathy, and compassion for the benefit of all sentient beings.
The heart chakra, or Anahata means ‘unstruck sound’ in Sanskrit. It holds the center of love, empathy, and compassion. When fully open, the heart chakra becomes a channel for Universal Compassion.
- Element: Air
- Color: Green
- Stones: Aventurine, Jade, Rose Quartz, Green tourmaline, Green Calcite
- Scents: Rose, Neroli, Marjoram, Lemon, Yarrow, Eucalyptus, and Jasmine
- Mudra: Lotus
- Affirmations (I love)…